Sunday, April 21, 2013

What's Your Story?

This weeks IFB project is all about jewelry, be it costume jewelry, family heirlooms, or that plastic ring you found in a cereal box when you were ten.

Before I begin I have to say that I'm not a jewelry kind of girl. I hardly wear earrings, prefer watches over bracelets, and if I wear my signature charm necklace twice a week, then that's a lot. But if I do put on jewelry it is always a piece with a story. And I'd like to share a few of them with you:




Let's start with the most meaningful one, and that would be the Tiffany's pineapple charm necklace. My grandpa used to give me and my cousins an allowance each month. My cousins, who lived right next to him, got their's each month. I, however, only saw him on holidays, and usually got a year's worth of allowance all at once. When he passed away two years ago, I wanted to spend that last money from him on something to remember him by, and a piece of jewelry seemed like the obvious choice. Why a pineapple? There are many reasons, some private, and some as silly as that he loved Toast Hawaii.

Then there's the Betsey Johnson anchor necklace, which was nothing but a splurge to reward myself for acing a tough exam, but I think it's important to have items that remind you of accomplishments, even small ones.  

The tennis racket, lady bug, horse charm bracelet is the very first piece of real jewelry I owned. And most of the charms have their own little stories, some funny, some sad, some more meaningful than others, but everytime I put it on it's like opening an old photo album.

The pearl necklace and the art deco bracelet are the family heirlooms in my collection - although technically not my family's. Both were given to me for my 20th Birthday by my neighbor, who got them from her best friend. They had known each other for over 70 years, and the pieces always remind of that strong bond between best friends.  

What are the stories behind your jewels? I'd love to hear some of them.

Peace, Love, and Spring Showers
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment