Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Hump Day Homework: Guilty Pleasure

We all have our guilty pleasures, so I figured I should share some of mine:

Read: Gossip Girl, Psycho Killer (Cecily von Ziegesar)

read me

You have to admire an author who has enough humor to write a parody of their own best-seller, because that is exactly what Cecily von Ziegesar did with Psycho Killer, the newest release in the Gossip Girl series.  The book retells the very first Gossip Girl Novel: Serena returns from boarding school to make amends with Blair, but that won't work as long as Nate is still between them so he has to go. Meanwhile Blair also has a list of people she wants to get rid off...  let's just say Patrick Bateman has nothing on these girls.  

This book is, however, nothing for the faint-hearted. It is aimed towards an older audience than the original - and some scenes are a bit gory to put it mildly. But if you don't mind graphic details then you're in for a good time. 

Listen to: The Donnas, Spend The Night

listen to me

Talking of a good time... I used to be so obsessed with this band, and I wouldn't even call them a guilty pleasure if it wasn't for the lyrics: Take Me To The Backseat? Not exactly something you would want others to find on your iPod,  even though it is exactly the bluntness of the lyrics that makes the songs so refreshing and fun. We need more girls who aren't afraid to have fun.


Watch: Midnight Madness (1980) 


Any movie that begins with the line "Allow me to explain why I gathered you all here..." is a great movie, and this wacky Disney comedy is no exception.  Hilarity ensues when grad student Leon gathers nerds, jocks, and sorority girls to compete in an all night scavenger hunt. It's Disney's first venture into PG territory before Touchstone Pictures was founded, and stars Michael J. Fox in his very first movie role...   I wish I had friends like Leon. 

What are some of your guilty pleasures? Let me know, comment below!

Peace, Love and Sparkles
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment