Sunday, October 9, 2016

Murder Mystery

If there's one thing I love more than fictional mysteries, it's a good true crime story. Scratch that,  it doesn't even have to be good. Any low budget "mockumentary" will entertain me for hours (I promise i'm not a sociopath). So it doesn't come as a surprise that this fascination would draw me to the one thing I could never get into: Podcasts.  

It's not that I don't like the concept, I'm just not good at listening to them (the same goes for audio books). Unless I'm listening to them while doing a mindless activity like painting my nails I will either get distracted and wander off or just fall asleep.  

My Favorite Murder by Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark changed that:  



Two best friends discussing notorious murders as casually as their favorite nail polish.  It's brilliant, a little scary, hilarious without being tasteless, and oh so familiar because it's pretty much how conversations with my friends tend to go.  What really makes these fascinating are, however, not the famous pop culture mysteries, but the "hometown stories" from friends and fans – as these twisted tales often don't make it past the local paper. Maybe it's the familiarity, maybe the subject matter, or maybe the unique way it's done – but suddenly I have no problem listening to a 90 minute episode without getting distracted halfway through. More please. 

That said, I know that talking about "favorite murders" might not sound quite right. So it is important to remember that "favorite" in this context is used to express fascination and curiosity and not approval.  

Check out My Favorite Murder on iTunes,  
and follow them Twitter for updates.

Peace, Love and Lobsters
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment