Sunday, May 24, 2015

Summer Reading

There's nothing better than reading a book you don't have to read. Not for research or a grade, just for fun. Here are some of my mine favorite "fun-reads" for summer:

Unbenannt #104


Neon Angel: A Memoir of a Runaway: I know memoirs might not be everyone's idea of a fun reading material, but there are few things I enjoy more than diving into someones past – especially if it is as fascinating as Cherie Currie's.  I've always been a fan of the Runaways singer, but I don't think that you have to be a fan of her or the band to enjoy this book.  It's just an exciting story about a girl and her life as a teenage rock star in the 70s – the ups, the downs, the glamour and of course the dirt.

Joyland:  Stephen King is always a good choice for a summer read, but this one is particularly great. Joyland  follows Devon Jones, a 21 year old college student and aspiring writer, who spends the summer of 1973 working and "wearing the fur" at a small North Carolina amusement park with a dark history. It's part thriller, part coming of age story, and so much more than you would ever expect.

Paper Towns: I have to admit I am not the biggest John Green fan, don't get me wrong he's a great writer but his books just aren't my cup of tea. I had pretty much given up on him until I saw  the trailer for the Paper Towns movie adaptation - which looked like something  I would love. So I decided to give him another chance – and I'm so glad I did. I just somehow felt a connection to the characters that I never had with any of his other books. So even if you're not a John Green fan, give Paper Towns a chance.

Secret Society Girl: The Secret Society Girl Series is my everything. Full of drama, action, and romance  Diana Peterfreund's saga around a Skull and Bones like society is the perfect summer read. 
The first book in the series of four is admittedly a little slow - there's a lot of exposition but it's necessary, and the next three books definitely make up for it (especially Rites of Spring-Break - One word: lifesavers!)

What is on your summer reading list?



Peace, Love, and Lobsters
Laura 

No comments:

Post a Comment